What Degree Do I Need to Work in Educational Assessment, Measurement, and Evaluation?

You will need to complete a graduate degree. Usually at least a master's to work in the field. The Master’s (MEd, MA, or MS) in Educational Assessment, Measurement, and Evaluation focuses on the application of data analysis, assessment tools, qualitative and quantitative research, psychometrics, statistics, and evaluation in educational settings for the purpose of improving student learning and institutional effectiveness.  

Most entry positions, such as research analysts, educational testers, or educational diagnosticians, require a master's degree.  When you move into leadership roles such as a director of assessment, you will need a master's degree and experience or possibly a Ph.D.

Our 20 Best Online Master's in Educational Assessment, Measurement, and Evaluation or 20 Best Master's in Educational Assessment, Measurement, and Evaluation is designed to help you wade through the many factors to consider.

Demand for the field is growing rapidly for trained psychometricians with the skill to develop assessment tools and analyze and interpret results. A graduate degree will help allow students to enter into this growing field.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the field is s projected to grow 27 percent from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations. BLS States: " Growth is expected to result from the more widespread use of statistical analysis to make informed business, healthcare, and policy decisions."

Master’s degree programs exist to develop educators and specialists in the areas of assessment, measurement, research design, and program evaluation. Many programs serve teachers and administrators seeking applied measurement, research, and evaluation skills for use in PK-12 and higher education, as well as professionals seeking careers in the areas of evaluation, research, and psychometrics.

Doctoral programs develop specialists in a variety of research approaches and applications, statistical analyses, program evaluation, and measurement/psychometrics. Doctoral students gain the expertise to teach courses at the college level, provide leadership in the conduct of research studies, and act as consultants in data analysis in education, industry, and government.

The total number of credits required varies depending on the degree.  A master’s degree is 30-45 credits, but a graduate certificate is only 12-18 credits.  Program names vary, also included is Educational Diagnostics, a particular degree for special educators, mostly focused on individuals.

This degree can also be referred to as a Curriculum and Instruction or Educational Leadership often with an assessment focus.  There are also graduate certificate programs in EAME, although earning a graduate certificate may not lead to as many job possibilities, as employers are often looking for more advanced degrees.  Another name for this degree is a Master or Doctorate of Applied Statistics.

Here's an idea of the coursework and knowledge required to earn an EAME:

  • psychometrics
  • qualitative/quantitative measurement or research
  • statistics
  • multivariate analysis
  • classical test theory
  • designing evaluation instruments or technology
  • educational courses in ethics, assessment, or learning environment
  • Psychological measurement
  • Psychometric theory
  • Latent structure analysis
  • Program evaluation in social services
  • School of Social Work
  • Program evaluation design for health policy and management
  • Methods in program evaluation
  • Probability and statistical inference
  • Applied regression analysis
  • Linear models and experimental design
  • Multilevel and longitudinal data analysis
  • Multivariate analysis

In addition to conceptual knowledge, EAME graduate programs often contain leadership elements for educational settings.  Most programs also include a capstone project that involves designing, conducting, interpreting, and presenting research from a clinical experience.